THE GREAT APE PROTECTION ACT & COST SAVINGS ACT- H.R. 1513/S. 810- by Physicians Committee For Responsible Medecine
We have an amazing opportunity now to help stop the horrific experiments done on chimpanzees in America with this bill & to send the ones languishing in laboratories to sanctuary. I haven’t posted anything about vivisection, i.e. using animals in scientific experiments, but, as you can guess, I am totally against the use of all animals in experiments, along with many, many others throughout the ages which I will name at the end of this article. We are called “anti-vivisectionists”. We can & should, at least, start with the end of experiments on chimps.Please contact your senators and your representatives and urge their support of this bill.
The Great Ape Protection and Cost Savings Act (H.R. 1513/S. 810) makes sense—ethically, scientifically, and financially. Key provisions of the bill will:
- Phase out the use of chimpanzees in invasive research in both federally funded and private laboratories
- Release the more than 500 federally owned chimpanzees to sanctuaries
- Prohibit future breeding of chimpanzees for purposes of conducting invasive research
Many of the chimpanzees currently living in U.S. laboratories were captured from the wild as infants and have spent several decades in cages the size of a kitchen table, subject to repeated invasive procedures and breeding. Just imagine what it would be like to spend 50 to 60 years trapped inside a 5-by-7-by-7 cage. Research funding would be better spent on superior, 21st-century methods.
Stand with the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine in support of the Great Ape Protection and Cost Savings Act (H.R. 1513/S. 810). Support ethics. Support sound science. Support fiscal responsibility. Support the Great Ape Protection and Cost Savings Act (H.R. 1513/S. 810) today.
THE GREAT APE PROTECTION AND COST SAVINGS ACT is:
- Chimpanzees suffer, as a result of stress and trauma, from post-traumatic stress disorder and depression, similar to humans.
- The United States is the only nation still using chimpanzees in large-scale invasive research.
- Although chimpanzees are our closest genetic relatives, physiological differences make chimpanzees poor models for human health research.
- Leading hepatitis C researchers are using human cell based research methods instead of chimpanzees.
- More than $200 million in federal tax dollars were spent on chimpanzee experiments between fiscal year 2000-2010.
- Only 20 percent of chimpanzees in laboratories are used in research at any given time, while 80 percent are warehoused at taxpayer expense.
” Vivisection, in my opinion, is the blackest of all the blackest crimes that man is at present committing against God and His fair Creation. We should be able to refuse to live if the price of living be the torture of sentient beings.” Mahatma Gandhi
“Whoever doesn’t hesitate to vivisect will hardly hesitate to lie about it!” George Bernard Shaw
Leonardo Da Vinci
George Bernard Shaw
Harriet Beecher Stowe
John Stuart Mill
St. Francis of Assisi
Isaac Batshevis Singer
Henry David Thoreau
Dr. Neal Barnard
- Cetacean Freedom
- TRUMPETS TO PAT DERBY- June 7, 1943- Feb. 16, 2013 MyTribute to My Friend
- LOVING OUR DOGS TO DEATH
- Pedro Nava for California Attorney General!
- Congress considers law that would ban use of elephants in circuses